Monday, December 13, 2010

She did it.

Madeline cut her damn hair.

I knew that really it was only a matter of time before this would happen. I think that most kids feel the need at one point or another to indulge in a self-haircut. Today was Maddies day.

It seems to me that the days that both John and I are home, VERY little gets done. You would think that these are the days that we are ultra efficient and get lots done, essentially divide and conquor. NOT THE CASE. He throws my routine into a tailspin and the kids get out of their routine. Plus...on the days that he and I are both home we can head back to bed for an extra 15...20...45 minutes. Which probably was the first mistake we made. He slept in until, get this, 8:15am. Then I asked for just a quick 15 minutes to close my eyes. He graciously let this turn into 45 minutes, and when I woke at 9:15 I felt that I was way behind on the things that I like to get done on the weekdays. I have allowed us to fall into a routine, which is helped along with Jacks new school schedule. And I will admit, that it is sort of great. I get things knocked off my to-do list, and have worked in ways to get 1:1 time in with each of the kids.

Today was a no-go. It was a snow day for Jack, and usually the quiet that overtakes the house with him at school was not there. John and I each got some extra shut-eye and once things got moving this morning at the 9:30 (had to make coffee) range, I needed to get moving. Laundry, dishes, pick-up the living room, put lights on the tree, make breakfast, lunch and get dinner in the crockpot, change laundry, check facebook (mandatory), etc.

Madeline has gotten into the habit of helping with laundry, specifically pushing the start buttons. I gave her the chance to come to the basement and help me out, and she opted to stay upstairs in the kitchen. John was busy hanging up lights on the tree.

Then I heard it, John yelled to me "Someone is going to need a haircut". This was just non-specific enough to allow my brain to make up a million scenarios in the time it took me to get upstairs. Gum, peanut butter....oh, shit. She cut her hair. John had her waiting for me at the top of the stairs and all I could muster was "get her away". I was laughing so hard, and seriously she looked so damn cute. But I did NOT want her to know this. After I collected myself I was able to look at her and repair the damange.

Kids always seem to cut their bangs, which she did, but she didn't go all the way to the scalp. She actually ended up with some super cute severe/dramatic bangs, that look kindof artsy.

The life with three kids, and two parents. I guess at least one is always left unsupervised, but lets hope this doesn't happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment