Monday, December 6, 2010

Costumes

I believe that most anything...and I truly mean anything, can be made better by adding a costume. It doesn't always have to be a full on sequins and sparkle costume, but the right outfit can make you feel great and help you to stand out or blend in. I always felt like any formal dance I went to was an opportunity for a new costume, working at summer camp costumes enhanced MANY a campfire and special event weekend, etc. Wearing something special sometimes can make you feel special, help to capture and show off what is going on inside.

Madeline and Jack have the ability and passion to costume, and I'm pretty sure Noah isn't going to get away with just jeans and t-shirt.

From the moment he was able to dress and undress himself Jack liked to change clothes to fit his activity. He has approximately 1 million t-shirts and there is a t-shirt to fit any mood he has. He always has to find the right shirt to the activity or person he is with (often he will change to match what John is wearing), which is really very endearing. I think that this is somewhat normal kid behavior. Jack also went through a phase where he would only wear his Thomas the Tank swim trunks and Thomas the Tank swim shirt. EVERY DAY. This was in the middle of summer and he was playing outside most of the day and that shirt and pair of shorts were FILTHY every day. I remember debating so many times (as I was hand-washing these two things each night in the sink) in my head if this was crazy and I was supporting craziness by cleaning the outfit for him, or if it was normal kid stuff and I should encourage him to wear other things. It always comes back to being very selective on the battles I choose to engage in. Clothes are not one of the battles I'm picking, besides it was really very sweet that he loved Thomas so much he needed to wear him daily, and he was learning to make his own choices.

Madeline Maye has started her costume phase. It started with a pink frilly dress that I found for her to wear to a wedding this summer and it has grown from there. She has a pink and now a purple frilly dress to wear. She asks immediately in the morning if she can put on her purple dress. Her requirements for a dress (I asked her the other day) are that "it twirls". She is willing to show most anyone the amazing twirl of her dress at any time, so feel free to ask away. This purple dress gets so dirty, but luckily for us she is agreeable to putting it into the wash machine every few days. I believe that Santa has planned to bring her two new princess-type dresses, and I fear that they will remain on their hangers as this current purple dress has some sort of magic powers. Maddie has also been experimenting not only with costumes, but new names as well. Generally these days she prefers to be called "Bryan". However once the dress is on she becomes "Princess Bryan" or "Bryan Superhero". And like clock-work if and when she takes the dress off her name changes to "Bryan" or even....Maddie.

I am confident that Noah will have to follow suit (pun not intended) and develop a costuming habit. I cant say that it bothers me in the least, I am always looking for any excuse to pull out my old prom dresses or Tye dye t-shirts and you can be certain that whatever he decides to wear he will have a brother and sister, make that a Thomas the Train and Princess by his side.

No comments:

Post a Comment