Monday, December 20, 2010

Princess Bryan Superhero, Jack-a-lin

I feel that the last few blog have been about costumes. I think that there is a heavy costume phase going through our house at the moment. I cant say that I am at all sad. I've said it before that I will take any excuse to wear a costume. Last night was no exception. I work the afternoons on Sunday (during nap time, which pains me). Once I arrived home Jack and Maddie came downstairs from the playroom, Princess Bryan Superhero was dressed per usual...purple princess dress. She received some early Christmas presents over the weekend from her Auntie and Uncle and she has added a tutu over the dress, and shoes. She received four pair of plastic, pink sparkly dress-up shoes. They have already gotten miles on them.

I need to take a break and tell you that Madeline has a long history with shoes. She comes by this obsession honestly. I am as well in love with shoes and have more pairs than I care to admit. When I was pregnant with her I didn't officially know that she was a girl. But I think my heart knew. I resisted buying her anything girly before she was born, just in case. On the day that I went into labor with her I had the brilliant idea of going to the Mall of America to walk laps. Luckily a girlfriend of mine came along and worked very hard to distract me through the contractions. I remember going into one of the "kiddie boutique" places and finding the most adorable dress and shoes to match. I made Madeline a promise that if she was so kind as to be born...just born....that I would reward her with a pair of shoes. I kept my promise and have actually gone a bit overboard with her in the shoe department. But I do not care, a girl is entitled to shoes and lots of them. They make us happy.

So when she got fancy dress-up shoes for Christmas she was overjoyed. Little did I know she wasn't the only one.

When I came home after work on Sunday they came home and Maddie was dressed as expected, but Jack was also dressed up as well. He donned a tutu, purse and a pair of Madelines new shoes. He also informed me that his name was now "Jack-a-lin". He stayed in character for just a little while after I got home. John told me about the conversation that happened between Jack and Maddie that lead up to the transformation to Jack-a-lin.

Apparently Jack didn't want to go up to the playroom alone and repeatedly asked Maddie if she would come up and play, "trains...puzzles...action guys...fishing...house....school..." Maddie declined all the offers Jack could think of. Until he mentioned "dress-up". She instantly accepted his offer and from the sounds of it were playing together for awhile.

What touches my heart the most about this story, isn't the fact that my children will dress-up however they please, but more that they are becoming more aware of one another and taking eachothers feelings into account. For Jack to compromise and think about what Maddie might like to play to have a playmate was one of the best gifts for me to hear about. Almost as good as a new pair of shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment