Monday, September 20, 2010

Sweetie Girl.

I've got a running list of things to talk about here. I thought I'd open with the difference in speed at which we are getting to know Noah, then I thought about talking about the pace at which Maddie operates. I'm not sure if this is ironic, or what...Jack trumps them both. I guess the oldest is used to making the most noise and being the center. So here goes (with the promise to share the Noah and Maddie story soon...maybe that is a story in and of itself).

Jacks first week of school ended with a shit-eating-grin. He got off of the bus on Friday afternoon and was beaming. He announced to me that he had sat with his "Sweetie Girl". He was going to marry her and that he loved his "Sweetie Girl".

As we progressed through the afternoon, he repeatedly told me that "I kind of love you, mom. I love Noah....but I REALLY LOVE MY SWEETIE GIRL". Now, keep in mind that he has no idea what Sweetie Girls real name is, just that he totally loves her.

Jack is a very affectionate boy. He loves to hug and kiss. When he and I went through how to ride the school bus, we pretended the front porch steps were the bus and I was the driver. We practiced waiting at the corner until the doors are open, greeting the driver, sitting still, etc. We did this several times and each time he got to "school" to get off of the bus he gave the bus driver a hug. He didn't do it because it was me, he did it because he is Jack. There must be something in Jack's genetic make-up that predisposes him to hugging. He does it a lot, and pleasantly surprises most people by his full on "you-are-awesome" hugs. It is quite cute. John is a hugger, he would rather hug than shake hands. I've been tempted to buy him a "FREE HUGS" t-shirt, on many occasions. So Jack comes by the hugs honestly.

Now that Jack is in more formal settings he has to become more aware of when and with whom hugs are best. (Picture: running up to and hugging the t-ball player on the opposite team once they reach home). I wish he could hug everyone he wished to, but I want him to learn to respect others space and right to say yes or no.

He is having a hard time with the ones that say "no".

This very morning I was waiting outside for Jack to come home. Once the bus pulled up to our house it took him a little longer than usual to get off of the bus. He walked down the stairs with his head down. I could feel the sadness across the 15 feet. Once he hit that bottom step he erupted into tears and ran into my arms. He squeezed me hard and cried even harder. "My Sweetie Girl didn't want to sit with me today on the bus". Ohhhh, my little boy!!! His poor little hugging heart was broken, and my mothers' heart was as well. He knew that she had sat with another girl on the bus (whose name he did in fact know). I tried to explain to him that maybe they wanted to sit together and didn't mean to hurt his feelings. I helped him to understand that he could sit with different people each day. I asked who he had sat with. This made it worse "No one, I sat all by myself". Ouch! Living in our small house, Jack has gotten used to having someone around for most everything and likes it. So sitting alone was terrible in his mind. He sobbed and sobbed. There were no good words at that time.

I had to do it. (Truth be told it was already part of the plan, but he doesn't have to know that). I just had to pull out the card that I knew would make this all better. McDonald's. Yes. McDonald's cured his broken heart today. A big long giant hug and McDonald's how could he say "no" to that?

No comments:

Post a Comment