Monday, September 13, 2010

Lifes A Beach....

I keep a running list of things I want to talk about in my blog. Seeing as how I've gotten out of the habit of blogging on a regular basis, and will be trying diligently to catch-up. There will be some that are a little out of date. Reflecting on Jacks first day of school today I began thinking about how this was his last summer with very little structure. He doesn't even realize the freedom he had, and at this point the structure is a VERY good thing for him. But that got me thinking of the summer we had.

As my work schedule is set-up now, I work very little. 28 hours per week in fact. Most of that work time is at odd hours. I've counted every lucky star, and thanked every spirit guide that has allowed me this goofy and messy work schedule. It allows me to have abundant time with my children. I feel incredibly blessed to have this gift. My hat tips to the full-time working mothers. I have to get my kids up, dressed and someplace outside of our home at inappropriately early hours, only occasionally…and that is TOUGH. My hat also tips to the full-time at-home working mothers. There are days I'm watching out the window for John to get home so I can catch a break and go to work. Bless every mother, we are all full time something-or-others and it is not easy for any of us. In my case, my Libra dances every day that I get to balance my life with kids and work.

But back to this summer. Summers for some reason trick me into thinking I'm a stay at home mom. Maybe it is because we can get out of the house early (which I prefer) and spend a long leisurely time at whatever destination we have chosen for that day. Side Note: I'm a much better mother out of the house. Inside the house I get too distracted with what needs to be done there…so my solution is we just leave that stuff there and go somewhere fun. So much so that Jack generally asks "Where are we going today Mom" fairly early each morning.
This summer I was brave and decided to go to the beach. I remember spending long days at the beach, getting full of sand, swimming and having picnics. I love the water and I want my kids to love it as well. But, the beach?!?!?! So many things can go wrong, the training from my days as a lifeguard hasn't worn off….so much to watch. BUT…I decided to do it anyway. We got to McCarrons beach right away at 9am. Both big kids were off and running into the sand and water. We had the beach to ourselves which was really cool, plus it gave me a chance to figure out parameters and how this was going to work. Luckily the kids only waded and the roped in area was VERY shallow. Jack was building a river, Maddie was chasing a huge monarch butterfly, and Noah was happy to sit in the shade on the grass.

Then they got me to go in. Like I said, I love the water, so getting me into the lake was easy. I took Noah into the water and despite the introductory chill to the water he began splashing and laughing and just being at home in the water. After some playing and splashing, and trying to get the big kids to do the back float, there was a moment. I was kneeling with Noah in one arm, Maddie in the other and Jack right in front of me, the lake was still as were my kids, and it was another one of those simple things. One of those simple moments that you have to quickly capture because it moves on too fast. It was sweet, tender and I will carry that snapshot with me for a very very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment