Monday, October 10, 2011

New Club

The minute Noah was born people started asking when we were going to have another baby. Even in the throes of labor with him I vividly remember the nurse asking if we were interested in permanent birth control during the hospital stay, I remember even hesitating at that moment. I have never felt the "Im done" feeling that friends of mine have described. THIS IS NOT AN ANNOUNCEMENT. It is, a slight observation of how I've been feeling this summer.

It feels like we are on the verge of joining a club. This is not a secret club, but I sure didn't know about it until recently. This is the parents with bigger kids club. This is the club where kids can do a lot of things for themselves, and play with other kids and be okay. This is the less equipment and stuff to tote around club, the we can get in the car in less than 5 minutes club, the things are getting easier club.

On that note, I guess I didn't really have time to notice just how much work it was to have three very young children. (I still do have three very young children, but like I said, we are on the verge of joining a new club). I surely have become accustomed to the work, the volume of laundry and dishes and the permanent organized-mess that is our home. But now that the kids are gaining independence Im starting to have moments where Im not really needed. Moments, as in seconds.

This really came into perspective this summer. We had the wonderful opportunity to go to family camp this summer. It was so super duper great and I enjoyed being up there with my family. It was at this camp where I had the chance to observe other families with older kids and the mobility, freedom and moments each of them had. This summer I had the chance to compare the same activities we did as the previous summer, beach, pool, playgrounds. I was able to get in there and play like I wanted to with all three kids. That is the real gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment